Tuesday, March 3, 2026

still bringing what I forget

 So, on Valentine's Day, I traveled to the CORE headquarters in Pittsburgh for an Advocate Kickoff Event.  It was a great event, but that's not why I am writing.  I want to share how Steve showed up that day. As I was getting ready in the morning, I took out my nose ring and placed it on the counter while I washed my face and then did my makeup.  In my head I was repeating to myself to not forget to put it back in.  I finished getting ready and headed out the door.  Not far down the road, I realized that, yes, I forgot to put my nose ring back in - URGH!  I did this on a regular basis on Sundays while I got ready for church.  And each of those Sundays I would text Steve and ask him to bring it over to church when he came, and each week he would.

So, I am sitting at the CORE event, in one of Steve's 3/4 zip sweatshirts, it was one we got at The Wilds.  I put my hand in the front pocket, and something was in the pocket, but it was stuck inside the lining.  I started to feel it better as it moved around, and I started feeling for a hole in the lining, how did whatever it was get in there? I kept moving the object around and it was sharp enough that I just poked it through the lining, it was a nose ring.  I truly have NO idea how it got in there; it was not the one I took out that morning, but there he was, once again, bringing what I forgot. I am not one that looks for signs or even thinks about them much - but that happening on Valentine's made me tear up a bit, because there he was still taking care of me in those silly little ways like he always did.  

I wanted to share this story, because it's one I don't want to forget, not that I think I would, but one never knows.  I was so thankful, on that hard day, for just that little encouragement of remembering all he was and all he did for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment