Me - We - Me
I didn't marry until I was 36, so I lived a good many years as just a "me". I was independent, I traveled a lot on my own, I ate out by myself, I didn't mind being a "me". In all my years of being a "me" I knew, hoped, prayed to become a "we" someday, and in 2010 a "we" started and then in 2011 I got married and officially became a "we".
There were some hiccups in the "we", but mostly it was excitement - the little things, like the new toothbrush in the toothbrush holder or the second car in the driveway. Even though not being completely independent anymore was a little challenging, but I changed my vocabulary to "we" and "our" and I liked being a "we".
Then Dec.8, 2025 happened and I am a "me" again. I don't have to make sure I don't hit the other car in the driveway, as it is gone, the toothbrush hasn't been removed yet, but that can be an easy move. What I am finding difficult is the vocabulary. I am still saying "we" and "our" more often than not, and each time it comes out of my mouth there is a twinge in my soul. I think it was easier being a "me" before I knew what a "we" really was. Don't get me wrong, "we" wasn't always easy, but being a "me" again, isn't a piece of cake either. I guess this "me" will adjust again, find that independence that was there before and keep moving forward.
You can feel the emotion in your writing. You do have a beautiful way of expressing your thoughts. It's a gift. My heart breaks for you getting through your grief.
ReplyDelete