Monday, November 22, 2010

Lectio Divina Part 3

Our last day together we looked at Mark 14:1-9. It's the story of Jesus having dinner at the home of Simon the Leper and a woman coming in and pouring perfume on Jesus' head.
The question that kept coming to mind as I spent time with this passage was -
"Do I admire/adore Jesus enough to do something this extravagant?"
We learn from the passage that this was an expensive act... but money isn't the issue. We learn from this passage that she interrupted a dinner party... but I am not even convinced her boldness is the issue. It is more about that this was a raw act of worship - it was wonderfully significant - it was extravagant. I bask in God's extravagant love for me...but do I respond with extravagant acts of worship towards Him.
I don't have an answer yet. I know what I want. I know what God deserves. But where the two intersect is where life seems to hiccup and it doesn't come out just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment