Monday, September 7, 2009

If you only knew...

It was one of those weeks... lots going on - but still reflective and contemplative. I can easily get on a soap box when talking about the western way of life - and I find that lifestyle really starting to penetrate the culture here as well. In the past two days I have seen the same shirt twice, both times on gals... not that I think this is a gender specific problem though - the t-shirt read - I (heart) ME. WOW! I know (hearting) things is quite popular at the moment - but to be so bold... I would think that the shirts were worn a bit in jest but the message is still there - We LOVE OURSELVES!!

I will be honest with you when I saw the first t-shirt I was thinking 'gee- that's really American'. But I know the 'me' epidemic is more than an American problem - its a human problem and ultimately a sin nature problem.

Yesterday, at church the topic was broached again, this time in the framework of the account of the woman at the well. This account is found in the Gospel of John 4 and we were looking at verses 6-14. It was verse 10 that really got me:
"Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

This is Jesus' reply after the woman says to him - You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan how can you ask me for a drink. The idea that a Jew was even talking to a Samaritan was flabbergasting but that he would ask her for something like a drink that's just not even close to heard of - it was against the Jewish law - he would have been unclean for drinking from her cup or bucket.

Now back to why verse 10 got me - it the CQ paraphrase Jesus is basically saying 'If you only knew' If you only knew with whom you were speaking, If you only knew what I could do for you, If you only knew... You see Jesus had a true physical need - He was thirsty for water. he had been walking all day, he was tired, parched and in need of liquid. But even in his need he looked at the needs of others. He knew his thirst could wait, if he could quench the spiritual longings of another. Because this woman had been listening to all the other voices in her life, the voices of pure pleasure, the voices of ridicule, the voices of disdain. So, many other voices filled her mind, that she had to be thinking that this guy, this Jew, was just another voice, she maybe even thought he was just setting her up to mock her like the others did. And he is saying - If you only knew!

We find ourselves in the same situation. Even though we are not sitting at a well having a one-on-one with Jesus, he is still speaking to us - but do we know it ?- do we hear it? - do we recognize it? Or do we let the voices of our lives out speak it... do we let those TV,magazine and billboard ads that promise if we drink this soda we will be happy, or if we drive this car we will have the dream life we always wanted, of if we use this type of body wash we will attract only the the nicest looking people around us to fall head-over-heals for us. Do we really listen to that?!?! If we have the self-discipline to not give into ads, there are still the others around us that are more successful, more beautiful and seemingly more happy - do we listen to their voices? If you only work harder, or more hours, if you would only eat that pea-sized amount of food and spend hundreds of dollars on products to look this way, if you only... if you only...

Our lives are FULL of voices that we can be listening to - but if we can tune in- and know that Jesus' voice is there - calling - promising a full life - it may not be a perfect life, you still may not have the best house or car or have that amazing body that you want. BUT you will have what you need - because His promise is a promise to fill you up with Him and He never runs out. You never have to replace Jesus - like you do that hot car or latest gadget. Jesus is the well of life - which lets you never longing again.

If we only knew!

1 comment:

  1. nicely stated! -- and i very much like the new blog, as well...

    ReplyDelete