I am 8 months into this grief journey. Sometimes that feels like an eternity and other days it feels like a second. But what has happened, is that I am getting to have more "normal" days. Days that I live as fully as I know how right now and do the things I like to do.
Last Saturday, on the 8-month anniversary of Steve's death, I did another 5K and it was a fairly "normal" day or maybe a bit of a new "normal" because I never did a 5K before Steve died. And this past week has been fairly "normal" work and home, laundry and cleaning, hosting ladies and spending time with the fur kids. And today was another "normal" day I went to some yard sales and had some very meaningful conversations. That was something that hadn't happened in awhile - so I got excited and realized more of me was around. I was able to invite 2 lovely ladies to church at 2 different places and had a great organ donation conversation, thanks to wearing my Donate Life shirt and CORE hat.
Significant conversations can be really easy if we are just willing to engage. The first yard sale I was talking with the host and her friend and we were discussing some of the items she had and why she was moving and to where and her friend helped carry some things to the car (yes, I bought that much) and as we walked to the car, we talked and I was sharing about the Good Used Clothing Sale the church holds, and then I mentioned I was pastor and if she was looking for a church we would love to have her. Simple, easy conversation, but significant. Will she come? I don't know, but I am praying for her and asking God to do what needs to be done in her life.
Then I headed to a local church having a sale and on my way in a woman noticed my shirt and asked if I was an organ donor - I said yes I am registered...and then she began to tell me her story about trying to be a living donor and we discussed the complexities of organ donation and such. I shared a bit of Steve's story as well. Again, because I was willing to engage, another significant conversation took place.
Then it was off to a little shop I have been wanting to visit, but now its closing soon - so I HAD to get there. And a sweet 23 was working and we had a wonderful conversation about life and relationships and religion and so I invited her to church as well. Again, I have no idea if she will come, but she knows a place she is welcome and that could mean everything to her at this time in her life. Again, because I was willing to take the time and engage.
It is SO easy to keep interactions at arm's length and give short answers and not ask questions and go about our day, OR we can choose to put our agenda aside, and engage. We can bring the conversation in, ask questions and give answers where we share ourselves and listen as they share themselves as well. That is where relationships are formed, that's how people may just come to do something great with their lives or even get to know Jesus. It could be uncomfortable, especially at first, but it could also be life changing.
Can I encourage you to work this into a "normal" day for yourself as well? I don't always have "normal" days through this grief journey, but when I do - I want them to be life changing for someone.
No comments:
Post a Comment