According to Meriam-Webster this is the definiton of home-
home: a familiar or usual setting: cogenial environment; also: the focus of one's domestic attention. - home is where the heart is-
My original question was going to be where is home/what is home? But after reading that definition and seeing the sentence they used to help explain the definition my question is -
Can your heart be in more than one place?
I want the answer to be yes, but I am not sure it is. Let me explain...
I live in Macedonia. My heart is there - I have great friends and co-workers that I love. I wouldn't live there if I didn't love it there and if I love something, then my heart is there BUT
I also lived in Lancaster, PA for 8+ years. I have a great church family there and some of my best friends live there. I love it there too and feel comfortable there - so my heart is there BUT
I also grew up in Ligonier, PA. My family is still there, my boyfriend is there. I love Ligonier and all that goes with it, so my heart is there too!
Can my heart be in 3 places at once, and if it can where is home??
One of my favorite all-time TV shows is MASH. There is one episode where Col. Potter says something to the extent of 'if you aren't where you are, you aren't anywhere' . That resonates with me. I want to be where I am! But I am not sure I know how, or at least how to do that well at this time in my life.
I am sitting here trying to think how I am going to end this post, because I know I don't have an answer...I know not knowing the answers is OK sometimes, but I am not sure this is one of those times. But I guess I am ending by saying I don't have an answer to my question...I want to be where I am, but when there are so many heartstrings being pulled - can one really know where the heart is?
The longer I live on this planet, the less it seems like home to me. Looking forward to my real home in Heaven. Perhaps that is what you are going through now--seeking a home with all the people you love and who love you. Yet, feeling not quite right because Home is when we're with the One Who truly loves us as no human could.
ReplyDeleteI like Elaine's thoughts....truly we will not feel fully at home here. We're not meant to. We're meant to have a heavenly longing. But we DO live here...and therefore our heart searches for a place to belong...albeit temporarily. Today of all days, your heart is tugged in too many directions. Perhaps not the day to ask the question! I like that Lancaster still feels like HOME to you!!! You carry the One common ingredient with you no matter where you call home at the moment...and He's the One who can adjust your thinking to be present wherever you are. Love you...hope your travels are going well---and QUICKLY!
ReplyDeleteMy friend Cassidy once said, "Home is wherever God calls you." That has helped me as I move around and meet people, love them, allow them to love me, and move on (and say goodbye, often unsure if/when I will see them again on this earth). Another one of my friends, Caitlin, once said, "When God teaches you to love as He does-He shows you how to hurt like He does." I think He moves us so that we remember that this world is not our home--and that this world isn't about us, its about Him and His glory. I know what you're saying about having homes be in different places...although mine are different states, not different continents...! So glad you were able to be home with family for Christmas!
ReplyDelete