It's that time of year again...
I am not writing about Christmas - that may come in another post. I am writing about this time of year when you begin to be extra cautious, being totally aware of your surroundings, actually experiencing a level of stress when out walking.
Am I in danger?? - well, not of someone - but of something.
The ice - the dreaded ice.
I LOVE the snow... I am always excited to when I see the flakes beginning to fall. The problem is when it begins to melt - and the ice comes. Now, for those of you reading in the US you may be wondering why is it so bad? Well, because very few people take any responsibility for the sidewalks and the plows only fit on certain streets. So in those rare occasions when you have sidewalk on which to walk - its typically ice-covered... and when you don't have a sidewalk on which to walk on the side roads - they are typically ice-covered as well. You literally take your bones into your own hands... well, feet, I guess. I actually cut my trip out short today, because I am just not a gamblin' gal and enjoy all my bones intact.
Never do you find yourself so thankful for good boots with a nice tread - what AMAZES me is that the women here STILL go out in their stilettos. I don't know, maybe they are like spikes and help with traction - I DO know that I am not willing to find out for myself.
I will say that there are more workers out trying to clear the streets and sidewalks then I have seen in years past.
But, now I find myself back, warm in my apartment, wishing for high temps and rain to take it away instantaneously so I can finish my Christmas shopping - but since that seems unlikely - I will hope for more snow to cover it up and enjoy some traction while it lasts.
No comments:
Post a Comment