Saturday, March 19, 2011

another first

Over the past four years I have experienced many firsts here in Macedonia and this past month was no different - but it was a first I was hoping I wouldn't have to experience - ever and especially not here - BUT -

Over the past year I have had a lump growing in my elbow... it didn't bother me at first, you couldn't see it and it didn't interfere with anything... but as time past it grew. I decided it was time to figure out what it was

I feel fortunate that I have found a medical clinic here that I really like and trust, so I visited the dermatologist and she felt best that it be removed. I figured that would be its fate - but I didn't know how I felt about surgery in Macedonia.

I have never had surgery - ever - I have never had stitches - ever - so this was not only going to be a Macedonian first but an overall first in my life. So here is how the story goes ...

It started like this -
For the surgery they had me lay on the table... I thought I would have a smaller table beside me to rest my arm on and for them to do the procedure -BUT not here. The doctor decided that the best angle was for me to cross my arm over my chest and hold it there for the surgery.
She put the sterile sheet over my arm and began to inject the local anesthetic. She waited a bit and said you should feel something, but no pain, she proceeded to take the scalpel and cut - OUCH... I could feel it AND there was pain. So she started on the other end - OUCH again. She injected another dose of anesthetic and then we were on our way.
Never having had surgery I had no idea what to expect. It was a feeling that I would prefer to never have again... I could feel her every move, there just wasn't pain. Thankfully, just as I was thinking I couldn't handle much more, I heard her ask for the stitches! I also didn't expect her to use my stomach as her instrument table, since the sterile sheet was over me, she just laid the instruments and such on me. It was an interesting experience.

This was what it looked like leaving the office that day Thankfully a good friend of mine went with me to help carry things, and help me out a bit since everything was just awkward now.

4 days later I got a smaller bandage -
and 6 days after that I got the stitches out
Well,, now I can't say I have never had surgery - only that I have never had surgery in America. It was quite the Macedonia first ... but I know my insurance will be happy with the price tag - and I came through it A-OK so everyone can be happy with this one!

1 comment:

  1. HA! You know this sounds funny, right? Maybe only because everything turned out ok and you're on the mend...but really...it made me giggle thinking of you with your arms crossed w/surgical tools all over your stomach!
    Glad it's over..one more experience to tuck away in your Macedonia book of experiences!

    ReplyDelete